PDA

توجه ! این یک نسخه آرشیو شده میباشد و در این حالت شما عکسی را دیدن نمیکنید برای دیدن کامل نوشته‌یِ و عکسها بر روی لینک مقابل کلیک کنید : How did you learn English?

Mehrbod
09-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I believe pretty much everyone around here speaks English (or other languages) to some extend :e402:

It's also a very good way for learning a foreign language, to ask others and see how everyone else has learned it already.

So go on people, give us some story on your learning background, and other things as you find related.

Ouroboros
09-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Interesting topic, My uncle lived in Ireland for 20 some years, and when he came back he made sure every kid in the family learns how to speak English, it was a great thing he did and I'll always be grateful. But the problem with learning English the way I did, is that I royally suck at grammar and also have a ridiculous Irish accent.

You didn't share your story lad, how did you learn English? I'm guessing it involved a lot of books and classes, since you do it so neat and proper..

Theodor Herzl
09-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I was 13 when I moved to Canada. I grew up with Canadian kids and I had my first girlfriend when I was 14 , She really helped me to learn English

Ouroboros
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
:e409::e412:

I don't suppose anybody'll top that? That's the best way there is me friend
I wish I had me one of them nice "teachers" growing up you know

Russell
09-23-2012, 12:43 PM
!!Still Under Construction

Anarchy
09-23-2012, 01:20 PM
To put it in a nutshell,I had been to english classes since my early childhood which continued till my high school graduation.During these years I was so interested in learning any language even Arabic,their whole complexity fascinated me so much.When I was around fifteen years old,I watched a TV program about some Iranian translator who knew 11 languages including old latin.!!
That was my wish to learn all those languages and even more
I was also so fond of linguistics and the language changing in the course of centuries
That was something never went real and that's a pitty but I still have my dream

Nevermore
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I've been learning english for abour 2 years(myself without classes) but now i can only read and listen well
my writing and speaking are terrible.

Mehrbod
09-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Interesting topic, My uncle lived in Ireland for 20 some years, and when he came back he made sure every kid in the family learns how to speak English, it was a great thing he did and I'll always be grateful. But the problem with learning English the way I did, is that I royally suck at grammar and also have a ridiculous Irish accent.

You didn't share your story lad, how did you learn English? I'm guessing it involved a lot of books and classes, since you do it so neat and proper..

My learning did involve a lot of books, but no classes. I can't explain just how much I hate attending a class and learning with other people. I've developed this sense over the years that if too many people are all doing the same thing, then the thing's ought to be just plain wrong or unnecessary or avoidable in some manner! That's how much I distrust popular judgement :e402:

The only thing I've ever learned from attending these so-called educational classes - besides language, were some phone numbers which ironically enough, none of them worked out as a relationship anyway! :)

However I learned what I know by using a very simple translator, you selected the word and the its translation would pop up on the screen.
With that in hand, I read some pretty interesting books. It was rather tiresome at the beginning, reading and understanding one sentence could take up to ten minutes whiich easily bores most people, but then reading paragraphs took about the same time, and in no time I could read a whole book without using the translator that much anymore, since most of the meaning's guessable through the context anyway.

But the whole vocabulary I learned this way was stored in this part of the memory called "passive memory". I could understand pretty much everything, but I couldn't verbalize any sentences whatsoever. That was the case until I moved to Canada and that's where the magic of non-linearity revealed itself to me!

The first day I couldn't formulate one single proper sentence, but in less than a few days, every word that I've had ever learned magically found its way into my speech and working memory (active-memory), and before I knew I could speak English rather fluently!

Ouroboros
09-26-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2bTpyHGCE&r

:e409::e411::e412:

Fiona
01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
My story is that when I was abt 3 yrs old, spending time with my cousins in UK and there was no possible way to communicate with each other as they grew up there n didn't know even one single Persian word !!The most messed up situation when we were fighting on nothing...Big headache! this was my first motivation to learn English as I've started attending English classes prior to learn how to write and read Persian...made me confused when I stepped in the 1st grade coz I wondered how to write whether in Persian alphabets or in latin ones.

SAMKING
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
very hard and very bad...
​to be frankly still
IT IS A BOOK

The Invisible Pink Unicorn
01-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Playing lots of games, watching many movies without subtitle, reading scholar articles. LOL :e402:

Mehrbod
01-16-2013, 07:17 AM
My story is that when I was abt 3 yrs old, spending time with my cousins in UK and there was no possible way to communicate with each other as they grew up there n didn't know even one single Persian word !!The most messed up situation when we were fighting on nothing...Big headache! this was my first motivation to learn English as I've started attending English classes prior to learn how to write and read Persian...made me confused when I stepped in the 1st grade coz I wondered how to write whether in Persian alphabets or in latin ones.

Miss. Fiona, you're like the most enigmatic and quiet person around here, for spaghetti's sake tell us something about yourself! :)

Fiona
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Miss. Fiona, you're like the most enigmatic and quiet person around here, for spaghetti's sake tell us something about yourself! :)

hehe, Actually I never imagined my caution sniffing through the posts, feeding my curiosity, draw anyone's attention...wt would u like to hear frm me:e105:

Mehrbod
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
hehe, Actually I never imagined my caution sniffing through the posts, feeding my curiosity, draw anyone's attention...wt would u like to hear frm me:e105:

You're so wrong there Fiona, check out your profile نمایش مشخصات: Fiona - دفترچه (http://www.daftarche.com/members/fiona-338/) and see those visitors right there.

I think there's at least me and Anarchy who're dying to know who's this mysterious fionna snooping around .. being awfully quiet at the same time.

And about urself, well for starters... tell us how did u come across daftarche, I have a feeling you're another of Iranbanoo's many [female] friends :)

Somehow is there a specific reason you're not getting urself too involved with discussions? :-?

Fiona
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
You're so wrong there Fiano, check out your profile نمایش مشخصات: Fiona - دفترچه and see those visitors right there.
LOL; I didn't notice that...wow; um so popular!! :e105:

tell us how did u come across daftarche, I have a feeling you're another of Iranbanoo's many [female] friends :)
well; How I got interested in Daftarche? one of my friends recommended me to check here...dunno who's Iranbanoo?! probably one of members here

Somehow is there a specific reason you're not getting urself too involved with discussions? :-?
honestly; nope ...but somehow it's related to my personality which I almost prefer to keep quiet and hear frm others rather than sharing my thoughts ...as I've rarely experienced finding anyone who has an ear to listen

Mehrbod
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
LOL; I didn't notice that...wow; um so popular!! :e105:

Comes with the territory of being a girl, I guess :)

well; How I got interested in Daftarche? one of my friends recommended me to check here...dunno who's Iranbanoo?! probably one of members here

I'm dying to know the name of this mysterious friend of yours ...

honestly; nope ...but somehow it's related to my personality which I almost prefer to keep quiet and hear frm others rather than sharing my thoughts ...as I've rarely experienced finding anyone who has an ear to listen

Well then, so you're overly extroverted, not so much of an uncommon trait around here... but it could be nice to know you better if for instance, you wrote on how you perceive other members: Write on how you perceive other forum members (http://www.daftarche.com/english-31/write-how-you-perceive-other-forum-members-681/)

It's if you know anyone by now, of course. This is called "The Wittgenstein's Ruler", meaning if you measure a table by a ruler, the table's also measuring the ruler at the time; or in other words, what you write on how you perceive other people also reveals about your very own personality, sometimes even more than the intendend other way around :)

And pleaase don't be so passive, do write, we'll be the listening ears :)

Fiona
01-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Haha; girl’s territory…which I almost prefer not to get involved in it!!

Actually I never expected u were such a curious guy abt any new members to find how they were conducted to sign up here… ;) Anyhow I guess the more important thing is that I’ve found here

‘‘ Write on how you perceive other forum members (http://www.daftarche.com/english-31/write-how-you-perceive-other-forum-members-681/)’’ that would be a fab suggestion for me to start and get familiar with others…I do write there hopefully it will be a good start!!